Oil painter William Pfahl set his sights on a historic town of 3,000 for a series of cityscapes. His pieces examine the nature of light, the charm of older buildings, and the pull of history.
We all have our plein air painting war stories. California artist Robin Purcell seems to have more than her fair share. One of the more interesting ones involved a helicopter.
How cold is it in Serbia? Jethro Knight had a rare chance to paint a frozen Danube River, that’s how cold.
What’s it like being a painter who lives on a sailboat? Brenda Osborne assures us it is hard. And hard to quit doing.
Every year, Dan Gray paints a New Year’s Day spectacle in Parksville, on Canada’s Vancouver Island, that lasts just minutes.
It took an unconventional painting done from a photograph taken at an extreme vantage point to set David Boyd, Jr. on his current path as a plein air pain
Nepal was hit hard by an earthquake in April 2015, and an artist named Gurung Dhwoj has been at the center of the relief efforts. Along the way, he has scratched out some time to paint and sketch. Recently, his drawings have more urgency to them, as he realized that many wood carvings on buildings—a key element in the local culture—were not being restored or preserved amidst the great chang
Actually, Lynn M. Rix tried to avoid greens by painting from a boat ... and she ended up painting a lot of green. How so?
David McEown paints in both the Arctic Circle and Antarctica each year. He’s learned some fascinating things along the way.
Richard Kattman tells the story about how he was painting a fairly abstract piece in Italy when someone in a passing car slammed on the brakes. What did the driver say?
Jason Zimmer loves to be on the water. He’s a fervent fisherman. He’s also an artist and a teacher at SCAD. Put Savannah, painting, and fishing together, and you get an interesting body of work.
Many parts of the country had a clear night for the supermoon that shone on November 14. Plein air painters responded. Hey, it’s another excuse to get together and paint nocturnes. Here are some reports from a few artists.
Chicago plein air artist Nancie King Mertz caught baseball fever recently when the Chicago Cubs won the World Series.
Joanna Barnum says her plein air painting experience allowed her to make a successful watercolor under the tight schedule allowed by NASA recently at the Goddard Space Flight Center.
- Bob Bahr reporting, Editor PleinAir Today - Oregon painter Michael Orwick and his wife and daughter have been back home for about two months...
- Bob Bahr reporting, Editor PleinAir Today - Nikki Frumkin isn’t doing it for sales. But for reasons of her own, the Washington artist climbs...
- Bob Bahr reporting, Editor PleinAir Today - Many artists make a piece in the studio based on plein air sketches. But St. Louis painter...
- Bob Bahr reporting, Editor PleinAir Today - Amy DiGi loves a challenge and loves to try something new. Sometimes, she will double or even...
- Bob Bahr reporting, Editor PleinAir Today - Egon Miklavcic was painting a mountain lake, Ödensee, in Austria, when this horn player began to serenade...
- Bob Bahr reporting, Editor PleinAir Today - The Indiana Plein Air Painters Association has long held biennial paint-outs on Lake Wawasee, the largest natural...