In this week’s PleinAir Podcast with Eric Rhoads, featuring artist Ken Salaz, you’ll learn the anatomy of painting a waterfall, the tradition of seekers of beauty, how Salaz became a non-criminal pick-pocket, and much more.
Listen as Ken Salaz shares the following:
• How he quit his good-paying full-time job in construction to study with Jacob Collins (“It paid off, big time.”)
• Why he transitioned from painting the figure to focusing on landscapes, becoming one of the top landscape painters in America, if not the world
• Painting techniques such as scumbling (in detail!)
• How to make your next sunset painting glow
“Not only do I love painting, but I also love being out in nature.”
“I still do portraits, I still do figures, but you can’t tear me away from painting the landscape.”
On painting “what was done before:”
“We have our own voice in our own time. We might be using a similar language, but we have our own poetry to say. It’s like saying you can’t use English because Shakespeare already wrote his plays…Don’t tell me the form is old and done. No – the form exists to express a new poetry…We’re using a language that allows us to express the voice of today.”
Bonus: This week’s PleinAir Podcast includes a Marketing Minute!
Eric Rhoads, author of Make More Money Selling Your Art, explains:
• Why galleries might keep up to 40 or 50% of the sale of your painting
• What you should know if you’re looking for the single best way to sell your paintings
Listen to the PleinAir Podcast with Eric Rhoads and Ken Salaz here:
Connect with us! We invite you to email us at [email protected] and tell us about your plein air group or ask a question for the Marketing Minute.
Your reviews help others find this podcast and they provide us with invaluable feedback. If you appreciate the PleinAir Podcast, please take a moment to write a review on iTunes. Thank you!
Upcoming travel and art events with Streamline Publishing:
- September 22-29, 2019: Fall Color Week: Ghost Ranch (sold out – sign up for the waiting list!)
- October 11-19, 2019: Fine Art Connoisseur Art Trip to France
- November 10-13, 2019: Figurative Art Convention & Expo
- May 2-6, 2020: The 9th Annual Plein Air Convention & Expo
- June 7-14, 2020: Publisher’s Invitational: Paint in the Adirondacks