In this weekly series Kelly Kane, Editor-in-Chief of Plein Air Magazine, shares a favorite painting from the current issue.
Kelly Kane’s Pick of the Week: Boat Builders Shop
“Color in nature is not as colorful as we think it is. There is harmony in the temperature of the light between the subjects in the scene. That green is not as bright as we think it is because colors in nature have a lot of complement tone in them. We should follow suit in our paintings: let tonality read more than color. Look at Sargent’s work. Many think his palette is really colorful, but it’s the warm and cool temperatures and tones in the grays that make his paintings look so vibrant. The grays let the color show, and vice versa.” ~ Mitch Baird, “As He Sees It”
PleinAir Magazine, June/July 2019
Upcoming travel and art events with Streamline Publishing:
- May 2-6, 2020: The 9th Annual Plein Air Convention & Expo
- June 7-14, 2020: Publisher’s Invitational: Paint Adirondacks
- October 12-19, 2020: Publisher’s Invitational: Fall Color Week in New Hampshire’s White Mountains
- Click here to subscribe to the free newsletter, Plein Air Today
- And click here to subscribe to PleinAir Magazine so you never miss an issue!