In this week’s PleinAir Podcast, Eric Rhoads welcomes landscape painter Michael Obermeyer as a guest. A native of Southern California, Obermeyer received a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Illustration at California State University, Long Beach. His 20-year career in illustration included works for Disney Studios, the Anaheim Angels, McDonnell Douglas, Coldwell Banker, and the United States Air Force. Many of his paintings are in the U.S. Air Force Historical Art Collection in the Smithsonian Institute and the Pentagon.
Listen as Michael Obermeyer shares the following:
• The value of plein air paintings versus studio works
• The process of developing as a painter
• A creative way to use a palette knife
• How his background in illustration informed his landscape painting
• Knowing what to leave out in a plein air landscape
• What it was like to work for the Air Force as an artist
On painting atmosphere: “When I’m driving … no matter where I’m going, I’m always painting in my mind.”
What he tells his art students: “Paint like your hair is on fire.”
On painting for the U.S. Air Force: “God bless the Air Force for recognizing the arts.”
Bonus: This week’s PleinAir Podcast includes a Marketing Minute!
Eric Rhoads, author of Make More Money Selling Your Art, explains:
• If you should separate your marketing/website for multiple artistic endeavors, such as painting and sculpting
• How to get your website in front of more people
Listen to the PleinAir Podcast with Eric Rhoads and Michael Obermeyer here:
Connect with us! We invite you to email us at [email protected] and tell us about your plein air group or ask a question for the Marketing Minute.
Your reviews help others find this podcast and they provide us with invaluable feedback. If you appreciate the PleinAir Podcast, please take a moment to write a review on iTunes. Thank you!
Upcoming travel and art events with Streamline Publishing:
- September 22-29, 2019: Fall Color Week: Ghost Ranch (sold out – sign up for the waiting list!)
- October 11-19, 2019: Fine Art Connoisseur Art Trip to France
- November 10-13, 2019: Figurative Art Convention & Expo
- May 2-6, 2020: The 9th Annual Plein Air Convention & Expo
- June 7-14, 2020: Publisher’s Invitational: Paint in the Adirondacks